Laptop Checkout Policy
The Central Arkansas Library System (CALS) makes laptop computers available for use inside the library building. The following rules and conditions apply to the use of these laptops:
- You must be at least 18 years old to check out a CALS laptop computer, and you must have a regular CALS library card. Patrons with internet-only library cards may not check out CALS laptops. You may not check out a laptop AND use a desktop computer at the same time.
- You must show your current government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, etc.) each time you check out a laptop. The photo ID will be held until you return the laptop.
- Before checking out a laptop the first time, you must sign a copy of the CALS Laptop Checkout Policy and Patron Agreement, which will be kept on file. A note will be placed in your library record stating that you have laptop checkout privileges.
- You may not check out a CALS laptop if you owe $50.00 or more in library fines or fees. If you have a payment plan in place to pay down past fines or fees and are honoring that plan, you may check out a laptop.
- CALS laptops may not be removed from the library building.
- Laptops may be checked out for two hours. You may renew the laptop for two additional hours if no one is waiting to use the laptop. IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE LAPTOP ON TIME, YOU WILL BE FINED $1.00 FOR EVERY HOUR OR PORTION OF AN HOUR, BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TIME THE LAPTOP WAS DUE, UP TO THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF $50.00.
- Please keep the computer with you at all times. If the laptop is stolen or damaged while checked out on your library card, you will be held responsible for all costs involved up to the maximum amount of $500.00.
- You may print from a CALS laptop. Documents may be saved temporarily to the laptop’s Local drive (Z: drive) for the purposes of burning documents to a CDROM. When the computer is rebooted, those documents will be lost.
- No software may be loaded onto CALS laptops. You may use flash drives, digital cameras, mp3 players and other storage media with CALS laptops only if they do not require any software to be loaded on the computer.
- You must comply with CALS’s Public Computer and Internet Use Rules and Responsibilities. If you are banned from using CALS’s computers due to a violation of these rules and responsibilities, you may not check out a laptop.
- The Central Arkansas Library System is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to or from your storage media. The library is not responsible for any files left on any computer or for loss or damage to your files or storage media.