Lights, camera, ACTION!
The Central Arkansas Library System presents the first ever Teen Film Fest! Submissions will open May 1– July 3. All films submitted will be shown at the Teen Film Fest Premiere to be held at the Ron Robinson Theater on July 29 at 5PM. Check this page for updates as well as submission instructions.
Do you need equipment or studio time to craft your film? CALS Studio: Open Lab (Ages 12-19) allows patrons to utilize the studio technology on Level 4 of the Main Library. CALS Studio tech is required to stay on the Main Library campus. Check link below for more information.
A film that experiments with the filmmaking process either through editing, sound, non-traditional techniques, or abstract narratives. (2-8 minutes)
LIVE ACTION or ANIMATED SHORT
A short film that tells a fictional story using believable characters, plots, and settings. (2-8 minutes)
- All short films must be written, directed, and edited by people between the ages of 12 and 19.
- All entries must be teen-produced and may be either a group project or individual work. Adult guidance and instruction are permissible, but the planning and production must reflect teen effort. Note, however, that adults are permitted to act in and assist with your film.
- In the case of a group project, one filmmaker should submit for the group.
- Films may be on any topic but must be G or PG-rated in language and subject matter or they will be disqualified. Films will be reviewed for content.
- Title pages and credits should be included in your film.
- During production, filmmakers may not obstruct the public right-of-way or film on private property without permission from the owner.
- Use of sound or video clips from other films, television shows, music videos, etc. within your submitted work is not permitted unless those clips are in the public domain, or you have received written permission from the copyright holder.
- Use of trademarked products or characters is also not permitted unless permission is received from the trademark owner. Filmmakers are responsible for obtaining permission from copyright and trademark owners.
- Films submitted become the property of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS).
- CALS is under no obligation to use or exhibit the submitted film(s) in any manner.
- CALS retains the right to accept or decline any entry, for whatever reason, without notice or explanation.
Terms & Conditions
- The filmmaker grants CALS a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to copy, distribute, create derivative works, perform, and display the film in all media, including, but not limited to: Showing the film(s) to the public at a future CALS Teen Film Fest event, other partner festivals and promotional events. Displaying the film, in part or in its entirety, on the cals.org website, and Central Arkansas Library System social media sites.
- By entering the festival, filmmakers indemnify and hold harmless CALS from, and against all losses, damages, rights, claims and action of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, at any time in connection with the submitted work. CALS cannot be held liable for any damage or loss during shipping, previewing, or screening. Filmmakers are responsible for their own insurance. The rights and remedies of CALS provided in this section shall not be exclusive and are in addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law or under these Terms and Conditions.
- By submitting your film, you certify that you are the sole owner and producer of the work and that you are authorized to submit this work and that all clearances and licenses necessary for public display of the work have been granted. Filmmaker represents and warrants that its film(s) submitted does not infringe in any way, directly or contributorily, upon any third party’s intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, music, still images, moving images, copyright, trademark, and right of publicity.
- Filmmaker, at his/her own expense, shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless CALS from and against all lawsuits and causes of actions, claims, losses, demands, and expenses, including, but not limited to, attorney’s fees (both in house and outside counsel) and cost of litigation, damages or liability of any nature arising out of infringement, actual or alleged, direct or contributory, of any intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, and right of publicity. The rights and remedies of CALS provided in this section shall not be exclusive and are in addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law or under these Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed in accordance with the laws of the State of Arkansas.
Presented with support from the Windgate Foundation.