About the Library
Fletcher Library was established in 1974 and was named for John Gould Fletcher, a Little Rock poet who won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1937. The grand opening was originally planned for August 1974 but was delayed by a month when the library learned the shelving would not be delivered on time. After the shelving company notified the library of a second delay, the intrepid staff lined up the entire collection on the floor with the spines up and opened the library without shelves!
In 1996, a new, much larger building was built behind the original location. It was designed in the Craftsman style to blend seamlessly with the surrounding neighborhood. Fletcher Library won the 1996 Design Award from the American Institute of Architects, Arkansas Chapter, and is largely considered one of the most beautiful libraries in the Central Arkansas Library System.
In 2017, the library was closed 4 months for construction and renovations. Fletcher Library now includes a community building with 3 meeting rooms and a warming kitchen available for public use. Fletcher Library continues to be a vital hub serving the Heights, Hillcrest, and Midtown neighborhoods.
- 3 meeting rooms for public use, all with white boards and AV monitors
- 4 4-person study rooms
- 10 1-hour internet computers, 3 15-minute express computers, 7 laptop computers, 2 youth computers, and 5 catalog computers
- Free, open access WiFi
- Storytime nook
- Teen lounge
- 3 self-check kiosks
- Charging station for Apple and Android devices
- Variety of smart furniture throughout the library
- Green space ideal for enjoying a little quiet time in nature
- Jump ropes, balls, and frisbees available for use in the green space
- Jigsaw puzzles, fishing poles, and a telescope available for checkout