Rules of Conduct
In order to ensure that library facilities are safe, are welcoming, and provide equitable access to materials and services for all patrons, the CALS Board of Directors has adopted the following rules and regulations. Failure to observe the Rules of Conduct may result in suspension of library privileges. In the event of repeated offenses, the Library reserves the right to impose additional suspensions based on circumstances. Suspensions may be appealed to Library Administration.
RULES FOR USING THE CENTRAL ARKANSAS LIBRARY SYSTEM’S FACILITIES
Level 1: Actions that require immediate removal from the library premises
- Persons who deface or mutilate any library property shall be immediately removed from the library. It is the policy of the Board that such persons be prosecuted under appropriate statutes. This especially applies to anyone guilty of defacing or mutilating books, periodicals, or other collections.
- Persons carrying any weapon may not enter the library and shall be immediately removed and it is the policy of the Board that such persons be prosecuted. The only exception is for people in possession of a concealed handgun license recognized by the State of Arkansas.
- Persons who urinate or defecate anywhere on the premises other than authorized restrooms shall be immediately removed from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Persons engaged in sexual conduct or lewd behavior shall be immediately removed from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Persons engaged in fighting, abusive language, or other aggressive behavior shall be suspended from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other persons shall be required to leave the building. They may reenter the library when they have eliminated the nuisance caused by their hygiene.
Level 2: Actions that require a written copy of the rules and/or verbal warning, but if repeated are subject to further action
- Patrons in the library shall be engaged in using library materials, services, or facilities for their intended purpose.
- Patrons shall not engage in harassing or threatening activities in the library.
- All patrons must wear shoes and, as appropriate, trousers, outer shorts, pants, skirts, dresses, blouses, shirts, and/or T-shirts.
- Patrons may eat or drink only in designated areas of the library.
- Smoking, use of tobacco products, and electronic nicotine delivery devices are prohibited on CALS property.
- Sleeping is not permitted in the library.
- No animals, except service animals accompanying persons with disabilities, are allowed in the library.
- Nonlibrary-approved solicitation in any form is forbidden.
- Public restrooms shall not be used for bathing, shaving, or washing clothing.
- Conversations, including cell phone conversations, that disturb other patrons or interfere with the ability of the staff to perform its duties are forbidden. Volume from earphones and other portable devices should not be so loud as to disturb others. Speakerphone and speaker functions shall not be used inside the library.
- Littering of the building and library grounds is forbidden.
- Patrons’ personal belongings must not block access to walkways, computers, or other library resources, and must not be left unattended. Any carrying device that is allowed in the library is subject to search when the person leaves the building, in accordance with Arkansas Statute 13-2-805.
- Patrons, regardless of age, who are unable or unwilling to care for themselves must have adequate supervision and may not be left alone in the library. Caregivers must be attentive to the needs of persons in their care.
**Note: Follow this link for more information about caregiver responsibilities and our Safe Child Procedures.
- The police department will be called if children under 12 years of age are left unattended in front of the building prior to regular opening time or have not been picked up by 15 minutes after closing time.
- Library computer users must sign in and agree to the Rules and Responsibilities for Public Computer and Internet Use.
- Patrons shall not enter spaces marked “Staff Only” unless they have permission from a member of the library staff.
- Patrons ages 2 and up must wear masks inside the library and outside of the library within 10 feet of exterior entrances.
- Patrons must practice social distancing by keeping at least 6 feet apart.
- No food or drink are allowed in the library.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- See CALS Playbook for Safety for additional Covid-19 related rules and corrective action guidelines.