September 28 is Voter Registration Day
Before you get out to rock the vote, you have to be registered to vote! Many CALS branches are voting locations, so hopefully you already think of us when you think of your civic duties, and now we’re here to help you become a registered voter. You can pick up a voter registration any time at your most convenient library branch, but there is one day per year dedicated to registering to vote. Not sure if you’re able to register to vote? Check out the requirements here.
Reasons why you should be a registered voter:
- Elections effect more than just “who is in charge,” residents are asked to vote on taxes and millages on both the state and local level. That’s your money, speak up (by voting) about what you think should be done with it.
- Not everyone has a voice to vote (kids and animals to name a few), help those who can’t help themselves, it’s your civic duty.
- It’s your right. In the United States, no one is required by law to vote in any local, state, or presidential election.
- This one is a bit shocking, being a registered voter positively affects your credit score.
- Arkansas has the lowest voter turnout of any state at the moment. Only 54% of eligible voting age population showed up for the 2020 elections.
- And finally, if you don’t like how something is being done, vote for change! The only people who get a say are those who vote. It’s easy to say “well, I’m not political, I don’t want to get involved.” But, these votes (and the effects of them) will happen, with our without you.
For 2021 elections, there are only local ballot measures up for vote. But in 2022, the following positions will be up for election:
Secretary of State
Public Lands Commissioner
You must submit your application to an official voter registration agency or mail it no later than 30 days prior to an election in which you wish to vote. The postmark on a mail-in application will be considered the submission date.
How do you register? It’s actually pretty easy. Stop by the most convenient CALS branch location, fill out your form and give it back to us. We will send them in all at once. Done and done.